The COBB Porsche Team is excited to bring a world’s first to the Porsche enthusiast community, PDK Tuning! For the past few years our Porsche Team has spent thousands of hours perfecting their understanding of a variety of both naturally aspirated and turbocharged Porsche engines. We have had our hand in claiming numerous 1/4 Mile and 1/2 Mile records along with supporting class winning teams in the IMSA Continental Sports Car Challenge Series and Pikes Peak International Hill Climb.
The idea of offering custom tuning for Porsche’s PDK transmission was conceived late last year by the COBB Porsche reverse engineering team. With the ability to tune a vehicle’s engine at almost all power levels well sorted, it was now time to investigate methods of putting that new-found power to the ground more efficiently.
After thousands of in-house testing hours on various vehicles of all trims as well as some grueling development time spent at the 2017 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, they are extremely pleased to now offer PDK Transmission tuning support for specific Porsche vehicles.
PDK OFF THE SHELF MAPS
In releasing a product that has never before been offered, our Porsche Calibration experts created PDK calibrations that we felt would give the greatest performance impact as well as appeal to most enthusiast owners. While the specifics of the map for each vehicle may differ slightly, below is a general representation of what to expect when using one of three provided PDK OTS maps.
All supported vehicles will have the following maps to choose from:
- COBB Sport Map
- A nice mix between the factory Normal and Sport Drive Modes.
- COBB Aggressive Map
- More ideal for vehicles being used on track or during competition.
- COBB High Torque Aggressive Map (not in firmware)
- Intended for vehicles with significant torque increase over stock. Requires PDK Relearn after flashing.
Below we highlight features that are integrated into the PDK Off The Shelf Maps. For a complete list of changes made to the PDK OTS Maps please see the PDK Map Notes Page.
- INCREASED MINIMUM SHIFT POINTS
- The factory shift schedule is geared towards maximizing fuel economy in Normal mode. Our calibrators have increased the Minimum Shift Point for each individual gear, giving cars a more sport like feel during normal driving. The Minimum Shift Points in both Normal and Sport Mode are adjusted and will provide a more consistent and predictable shifting schedule.
- INCREASED AUTO SHIFT POINTS
- With an increased Auto Shift Point cars are able to carry out power a bit higher before initiating a gear change. This is specifically beneficial to naturally aspirated cars and turbocharged cars with upgraded turbochargers where power is still increasing at the top of the power band.
- RACE START LITE
- This feature adds Race Start to both the Normal and Sport drive modes, including cars WITHOUT the factory Sport Chrono option. The Race Start Lite RPM in Normal and Sport mode will typically be slightly lower than in Sport Plus.
- INCREASED SHIFT FIRMNESS
- Shift firmness is the culmination of a few variables that determine how quickly the clutches are engaged between gears. The COBB PDK OTS maps offer slightly increased firmness over stock which translates to a shift more akin to that in a 991 GT3.
- INCREASED CLUTCH PRESSURE
- Minimizing clutch slip when engaging a gear moves power through the drivetrain more efficiently. Our calibrators have increased clutch pressure only in the High Torque Aggressive OTS map. This is intended to be used on vehicles that have a significant increase in torque over stock (50% or more). As a note, when flashing the High Torque Aggressive map, a PDK Relearn MUST be performed.
- MINIMIZED CONTINUOUS CLUTCH SLIP
- Continuous Clutch Slip can often present a sloppy feel when driving PDK equipped cars at low loads. COBB PDK OTS Maps will mitigate the “gear hunting” feeling by minimizing the amount of slip the clutches exhibit at low RPMs.